A TED Talk by Sex Therapist Esther Perel
I have been a huge fan of Esther Perel ever since her groundbreaking book published in 2007 called Mating in Captivity: Unlocking Erotic Intelligence.
She wowed audiences with her 2013 TEDSalon talk in New York called The Secret to Desire in a Long-Term Relationship, so it’s no surprise she was invited to speak at the much larger and prestigious TEDTalk in Vancouver, March of 2015.
I’ve also participated in online couple therapy training with Esther Perel and Terry Real, which has only reinforced my thoughts that Esther Perel is a world thought-leader in the area of relationships, sexuality and desire.
Esther Perel has the ability to take complex ideas and bring fascinating and novel perspectives to controversial topics like sexual desire and infidelity.
So I was thrilled to be able to watch her latest TEDTalk on the topic of infidelity and was not disappointed by her brilliant, interesting and thought-provoking take on this modern-day phenomena that affects so many relationships.
These were some of my favourite quotes from her presentation:
- “Monogamy used to be one person for life. Today, monogamy is one person at a time.” Click to tweet.
- “Affairs are an act of betrayal, and they are also an expression of longing and loss.” Click to tweet.
- “Affairs are way less about sex, and a lot more about desire: desire for attention, desire to feel special, desire to feel important.” Click to tweet.
- “Death and mortality often live in the shadow of an affair.” Click to tweet.
- “Some affairs are death knells for relationships that were already dying on the vine.” Click to tweet.
- “I’ve also told quite a few of my patients that if they could bring into their relationships one tenth of the boldness, the imagination and the verve that they put into their affairs, they probably would never need to see me.”
- “Every affair will redefine a relationship, and every couple will determine what the legacy of the affair will be.” Click to tweet.
- “Betrayal in a relationship comes in many forms.” Click to tweet.
This video is compelling watching for anyone who has loved.
Click below to watch the whole presentation.
If you’re struggling in your relationship or want to learn how to start a relationship, speak to us about how we can help. Book a FREE 15-minute phone consultation today with our online appointment scheduler or contact us and we will call you back.
Clinton Power is a relationship counsellor and Gestalt therapist with over a decade of experience helping individuals and couples move out of relationship pain and create great relationships. Get Clinton’s FREE report: 10 Tips for Moving Out of Relationship Pain, by clicking the button below.