with the Sydney Relationship Coaching Group for Singles
Are you a frustrated single who is sick of the merry-go-round called dating? Perhaps you want to be meeting more people, but you’re confused about how to do it. Or maybe you’re aware that you have some blocks to relating and you think it’s time you overcame them.
The Sydney Relationship Coaching Group for Singles is an exciting and powerful way to work on your issues that get in the way of you forming intimate relationships with others.
We will be addressing themes such as communication, dating, intimacy, self-defeating beliefs and many other issues that single people struggle with.
The group will comprise of 8-10 people and run for 6 weeks, commencing in August, 2012. It will include specific hands-on relationship coaching so that you can develop your relationship skills and overcome your blocks to intimacy.
Vivian and I have over 4 decades of experience between us helping singles overcome their blocks to relating to learn how to form long-lasting and rewarding relationships.
If you’re interested, here are some answers to the commonly asked questions about the singles group.
What is the structure of the Sydney Relationship Coaching Group for Singles?
The Sydney Relationship Coaching Group for Singles will run weekly for 6 weeks. The location is King St, Newtown, just minutes from Newtown train station. The group will be closed, which means no new members will join once the group has commenced. There will be a maximum of 10 members and 2 facilitators.
How much does the coaching group cost?
Group is a very economical way of receiving coaching for a lot less than the cost of individual coaching.
The fee is $91 per 90-minute session. The total cost of the 6 weeks is $547.00 for the 6 weeks.
A $250 non-refundable deposit is required to secure your place and the $297 balance is due 2 days before the first meeting. All fees are inclusive of GST.
Payment plans are also available on request. Payment can be made by cash, VISA, Mastercard or Eftpos.
What is your refund policy?
Due to the nature of organising a group of this nature and the necessity to know how many group members there will be, your commitment is for all 6 sessions. If you miss a session for any reason, you will not receive a refund for that session. If you decide to change your mind about whether the coaching group is right for you at any stage of the group process, you will not receive any refund of fees. The deposit is non-refundable to cover administration costs.
We will do our best to fully explain what the coaching group experience is like so that you can make a well-informed decision.
I’ve never been in a coaching group. How does it work?
- You will need to participate in the group to get the most out of it.
- You will develop personal goals that you will work on outside of the group.
- The group will have a focus on creating achievable goals and taking action now and in the future. This means you will need to take small risks between the coaching sessions and report back your outcomes.
- Giving and receiving feedback with other members is a part of the process, as well as support and encouragement for trying out new behaviours.
How will I know if the singles coaching group is right for me?
Many different types of singles participate in group coaching. If you can relate to some of these statements, then you may benefit from group.
- I have superficial relationships that never go deeper.
- My relationships never last and I get bored quickly and move on.
- I feel frustrated because I’m on a dating merry-go-round that I can’t get off.
- I feel like I just can’t connect with other people and feel awkward on the singles scene.
- I feel lonely, disconnected, depressed or isolated.
Is the coaching group a place where people pick up?
The short answer is no. The group has a common goal to help you overcome your relationship blocks and form new connections with others that can lead to sustaining relationships.
What we have seen is that many of the group members form strong friendships within the group that carry on after the group finishes.
Who is the singles coaching group for?
- people who want to change their single status
- people who want to overcome their blocks to dating and meet new partners
- people who want to understand old patterns and create new patterns
- people who are motivated and want to take action to change their relationship status
- people who are committed to taking action in the present and the future
Who is NOT suited to the singles coaching group?
Not everyone is suitable for group coaching. This group may not be for:
- people who want to spend a lot of time processing past painful relationships
- people with drug or alcohol dependence
- people who suffer from a serious or severe mental illness that impact their day-to-day living
- people not motivated to change, try new things and take calculated risks
- people who can’t manage their own emotional reactions in a group setting
- people who have been violent to others and struggle to manage their anger or rage reactions
- people who have huge mood swings that range from deep depression to extreme highs
All of these conditions are potentially serious and may require the attention of an individual counsellor.
What do you discuss in the Sydney relationship coaching group for singles?
Each week, themes are set as a springboard for you to explore and discuss the relationship issues that you are experiencing.
Week #1: Looking at Your Baggage
- What is your relationship blueprint?
- What have you learned about relationships and marriage?
- How your past relationships have shaped you
- How to overcome your baggage and be open to new relationships
Week #2: Are You Secretly Ambivalent?
- Exploring your ambivalence- what’s it about?
- Ignore negativity and create positive intentions
- There are many ways to meet people- right?
- Are you scared to commit?
Week #3: How to Meet People with Confidence
- What are you doing to meet people?
- What are your negative beliefs about meeting people?
- Taking risks and putting yourself ‘out there’
- Strategies for meeting the right kind of people
Week #4: Asking For What You Want so You Get it
- Increase your own self-acceptance
- Learning to say no
- Being assertive about what you want
- Dealing with rejection
Week #5: Recognising the Signs of Real Intimacy
- Learn how to avoid ‘commitment-phobes’
- Why you can’t make them love you
- Uncommon exceptions (loneliness, lack of balance, STI’s)
- Danger signs for intimacy problems
Week #6: Developing Your Relationship Action Plan
- Constructing a realistic action plan
- Breaking down the steps
- Increasing relationship risk-taking
- Getting ongoing support for your dating journey
We also encourage you to bring your own issues or themes that you want to discuss in the group. There will be time for reflections about the previous week and how you are progressing with your personal goals.
Who are the facilitators and what experience do they have?
Clinton Power is a Gestalt therapist and clinical counsellor who specialises in relationship issues for singles and couples. He has extensive experience gained from working with a wide range of populations and relationship issues for the last decade. He has a particular interest in running groups and enjoys how groups are a powerful tool to help people change. Clinton has a Graduate Diploma in Counselling & Psychotherapy and an Advanced Certificate in Gestalt Therapy.
Vivian is a clinical counsellor, therapist and coach specialising in relationship issues for singles and couples. She’s also a qualified clinical supervisor, having taught supervision to therapists at Canberra University. Since 1981 she’s provided relationship counselling and couples therapy to people who have struggled with painful relationship issues. She has a Masters Degree in Counselling, a Graduate Certificate in Professional Supervision and a Grad. Cert. in Coaching for Psychotherapists.
Are you ready to overcome your blocks to relating and change your status from “single” to “in a relationship?”
If the Sydney relationship coaching group for singles sounds like it might be for you, here’s what to do next:
- If you’ve read the information above and you’re ready to apply, fill out the form below and then click on the confirmation link in the email we send you. We will then contact you to give you more information and help you decide if this group is right for you.
- If you have any further questions that aren’t answered on this page, please call Clinton on 0412 241 410.