Can you relate to any of these?
- Help! I’m feeling so frustrated and lonely because after all this time, I still can’t find a partner.
- I’m tired and sick of the online and offline dating merry-go-round.
- I feel despair and hopeless about ever finding a life-long partner.
- Whenever I start to get close to someone I sabotage the relationship.
In a relationship:
- My relationship is not working for me and I need to become a better partner.
- I have problems being emotionally and sexually intimate with my partner.
- I want to leave the relationship and I don’t know how.
- I’ve got issues from the past that keep coming up again and again.
How can we help?
We work with a wide range of issues including:
- Affairs – rebuilding trust after an affair.
- Communication – effective conflict resolution and authentic relating.
- Complex, traumatic or unresolved past issues affecting your relationships.
- Conflict with family, ex-partners or in-laws.
- Decision making, commitment issues and dating.
- Growing apart, losing love and intimate connection.
- Parenting and step-family issues.
- Overcoming relationship blocks for people who have been single for many months or years.
- Dealing with differences before and after marriage.
- Exploring all the options before deciding whether to separate or divorce.
What results can you expect?
Through our individual counselling services you can:
- Resolve long-standing intimacy issues that are holding you back.
- Learn to become a more effective partner and not afraid of closeness.
- Improve your communication skills to benefit all your relationships.
- Let go of past hurts, traumas, and unresolved family issues.
- Discover how to be open and let people in.
- Learn how to better express love and affection for another person.
- Improve your current relationship through changing your own behaviour.
- Attract a new partner and sustain a long-term relationship or marriage.
Even if you’re in a relationship and your partner won’t come to counselling, you can still make changes yourself and experience positive change in your relationship.
Who are Clinton Power + Associates?
Clinton Power + Associates is a team of relationship counsellors that are dedicated to improving the lives and relationships of singles, individuals in relationships and couples.
With a combined counselling experience of over three decades, we have had the pleasure of providing relationship counselling and couples therapy to people who have struggled due to painful relationship patterns. Many of our clients longed to create respectful, loving and life affirming relationships for years before they began counselling with us.
What makes us different is every one of our counsellors has undergone specific and rigorous training in couples and relationship issues. Every one of our counsellors is a relationship specialist who is passionate about helping you create a great relationship.
Introducing Our Team
Clinton Power – Relationship Counsellor, Psychotherapist & Gestalt Therapist
I am a clinical relationship counsellor and Gestalt therapist. It has been a privilege to witness the transformations of my clients as they break their destructive patterns to form relationships that are based on honesty, respect, and true intimacy.
My interest in counselling grew out of my earlier career as a professional classical musician. For 15 years I performed with world-class orchestras in Sydney and overseas. As a performer I often struggled with performance anxiety and nervousness and this led to an interest in the mind and the psychology of performing.
The foundation of the way I work with individuals and couples is based on the theory and practice of Gestalt therapy.Read More
The foundations of Gestalt therapy are based on awareness. When working with you, I support you in raising your awareness about how you are living your life, who you are in relationship with others and what choices you are making. In being more aware, Gestalt therapy can then help you make more positive choices that will have meaning, are creative and will aid you in creating a life with relationships that are fulfilling.
Through couples counselling, I support you and your partner in becoming aware of the negative and destructive patterns that have become entrenched, so that you may begin to break these patterns and begin to form new patterns that are supportive, loving and enriching to your relationship.
The Gestalt approach to counselling is grounded in the here-and-now. This means that what you are experiencing in the present moment, in the therapy room or with your partner, takes precedence over your past experiences. This means that the therapy process is alive and present-centred.
While I do not discount your personal history, I am focussed on how your present life is being affected by your past experiences. A present-centred focus means that the therapy is dynamic as you are sharing your feelings, thoughts, sensations and imaginings in the present moment. The benefits of this are that you are able to learn and integrate new experiences by working in the present, rather than only talking about how or what you want to change in your life.
For couples, this means that you will often be in conversation with each other during the therapy. I observe how you are relating with each other. I give feedback based on my observations and will encourage you to try out new ways of communicating in the therapy room. Couples are invited to try out different behaviours and ways of relating in the present moment. The power of this process is that you experience new ways of being, rather than just talking about them.
Lidia Smirnov – Relationship Counsellor & Psychotherapist
I am a registered psychotherapist and counsellor, with a particular interest in working with couples and individuals to explore issues relating to trauma, relationship difficulties and unhelpful repetitive life patterns.
My own journey of self-discovery started more than 10 years ago, but it wasn’t until I was pregnant with my second son and facing a life threatening illness that I decided to face my fears, which included returning to full time study in my area of passion and that is psychotherapy.Read More
I believe that without love and belonging, there is guaranteed suffering, and, in order to experience love and belonging, we need connections. Sometimes these connections are easy, enjoyable and fulfilling, especially at the beginning of a relationship. However, as time goes by, what was once a blissful connection will start to feel strained, distanced or even hostile.
Through my personal as well as my clinical experience, I have arrived at the belief that by exploring the negative experiences in relationships that we habitually fight, flee and ignore, can in fact, provide us with the healing and growth opportunities necessary to deepen our connections, making them stronger and more intimate.
My relationship counselling approach and philosophies.
My approach is down to earth, direct and intelligent. Instead of a quick fix, I focus on discovering inner resources or tools that improve how you relate to life’s struggles.
I focus on strengths and resources that are inherent in you and by working collaboratively, problems are explored and understood, helping you to come to a new understanding of yourself and your relationships. Psychotherapy is the process of realising your inherent wholeness, sanity and joy; it is about reconnecting with the goodness that is in each and every one of us.
Furthermore, the relationship between the therapist and the client is a co-created partnership. Working collaboratively together, we will explore questions like:
- Why are we arguing about the same thing all the time?
- What can we do to stop the love and liveliness that is slowly leaking out of our relationship?
- Why is my partner so distant from me? Why doesn’t he/she “get me”?
- Am I wrong for questioning our suitability?
As a relationship counsellor, I provide a setting to guide you through the complexity of your dynamics to better understand your difficulties, and bring about desired change. I will give structure and direction to help you address unhealthy patterns, triggered reactions and projections. I offer tools to guide you out of blaming, bickering and not feeling heard into a truly mutual, respectful partnership.
Whether you choose to stay with your partner or separate, the underlying patterns of behaviours are explored during the process of the therapy, so as to prevent you from repeating the harmful cycles of behaviour.
We also have a psychologist as a part of our team. Please enquire for more information about psychology services.
We provide the following counselling services for individuals:
- Counselling for individuals already in a relationship.
- Counselling and coaching for singles who want to be in a relationship.
- Counselling for individuals attracted to the same sex.
- Divorce or separation counselling for individuals who are ending a relationship.
Relationship counselling isn’t just for couples. If you’re currently single or an individual in a relationship, you can also benefit from counselling to resolve your issues.
Working individually in counselling can be very effective for changing your relationship or learning how to start a relationship.
Our relationship counselling approach?
Each of our counsellors has a unique and effective approach, however,
all our counsellors share these common values in our approach:
- We truly value and understand our clients’ struggles, difficulties and desire to change their relationships for the better.
- We help our clients process their emotional struggles safely and with respect at all times.
- Our approach leads to new perspectives, greater self-understanding, improved relationship dynamics, and the empowerment of each partner and the relationship.
- Our relationship counselling approach is tailored to suit your unique needs. We listen closely to what your relationships goals are and work side-by-side with you to achieve them.
- The foundation of our relationship and marriage counselling approach is holistic. We view the whole of you in the context of your unique needs, values and history. This allows us to support you in accessing your inherent resources and strengths.
- We use a broad variety of counselling, psychotherapy and psychological models and theories that have been proven to be the most effective for the issues you are resolving.
- Our clients’ confidentiality and privacy is our priority and will be maintained at all times.
We have a range of services and fees, which can be viewed on our online appointment scheduler.
What our clients say
When I started counselling with Clinton Power + Associates, I had been single for over 5 years. I was feeling desperate and hopeless and was starting to think I would never be able to start a relationship. I actually thought there was something wrong with me!
In the counselling I realised I had some pretty big blocks from bad relationships in the past that were stopping me from letting people get close to me. It was hard work, but I was able to resolve some long-standing issues and finally move on from my past.
I actually started dating while I was still in counselling and met someone I really liked. It’s now been 2 years and we are still together and I’m over the moon!
My marriage was in crisis and was hanging on by a thread. I realised I needed help because I felt like I was slowly destroying my relationship and I didn’t understand why.
It was only in the counselling I started to understand some pretty destructive patterns that I had been repeating. The counsellor was fantastic because she really got what
was going on and I had new ideas and felt hopeful after the first session.
Even though my marriage was in a bad way, I was able to turn it around and my husband couldn’t believe the changes in me. I hate to think what might have happened if I hadn’t chosen Clinton Power + Associates. Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart!