About Clinton Power
Sydney Relationship Therapist and Counsellor
I am a clinical relationship counsellor and Gestalt therapist based in Sydney, Australia, who helps singles and couples move out of relationship pain.
I am passionate about helping individuals and couples create healthy relationships. Since 2003 I have had the pleasure of providing relationship counselling and couples therapy to people who have struggled due to painful relationship patterns. Many of my clients longed to create respectful, loving and life-affirming relationships for years before they began counselling with me.
It has been a privilege to witness the transformations of my clients as they break their destructive patterns to form relationships that are based on honesty, respect, and true intimacy.
Becoming a couples counsellor and Gestalt therapist
My interest in counselling grew out of my earlier career as a professional classical musician. For 15 years I performed with world-class orchestras in Sydney and overseas. As a performer, I often struggled with performance anxiety and nervousness and this led to an interest in the mind and the psychology of performing.
In taking my interest in psychology further, I received my post-graduate degree in Counselling and Psychotherapy from Jansen Newman Institute of Counselling and Applied Psychotherapy in Sydney after 2 years of study and 50 clinical hours of client work.
Following graduation, I undertook a position as a primary counsellor and group therapist in a residential drug and alcohol rehabilitation setting. This gave me a thorough understanding and appreciation for individuals that struggle with dependence issues.
My musical background led me to be attracted to therapy modalities that involved more than just talk therapy. I was drawn to the more experiential and creative methods and therefore specialised in Gestalt Therapy.
I received my Advanced Diploma in Gestalt Therapy from Gestalt Practitioners Training Sydney after 4 years of study and 30 clinical supervision hours. I am a Clinical Member of GANZ (Gestalt Australia & New Zealand), which means I have completed over 750 face-to-face client hours since graduation and over 75 hours of supervision with a supervisor.
My interest in relationship issues developed from working at the organisation, Relationships Australia in Sydney for over 2 years as a couples counsellor. It was here that I encountered a wide range of relationship problems and worked with a large population of singles and couples. It was here that I received advanced training in relationship issues. I realised I had a passion for helping couples and individuals achieve their relationship dreams and aspirations.
The foundation of the way I work with individuals and couples is based on the theory and practice of Gestalt therapy. Gestalt therapy is a holistic, experiential and relational way of working with individuals and couples. From a Gestalt counselling perspective, a well-lived life is founded on a person’s awareness of how they live their life and how they manage their relationships. Below I describe the core concepts I use in the therapy work I will do with you.
In 2010, I founded the Centre for Relationship Development with my Gestalt colleagues Felicity Gendun and Judy Leung, so that we could expand our relationship counselling services to include the South coast of NSW and the northern beaches of Sydney.
In 2012, Clinton Power Counselling & Psychotherapy changed our name to Clinton Power + Associates to include associate counsellors.
Currently, our counselling associate is:
Counsellor teaching and training experience
In addition to my work in private practice, I facilitated therapy groups of counselling students at Jansen Newman Institute, where I trained adult learners in therapeutic skills for 7 years.
I am passionate about my own personal and professional development, which includes regular clinical supervision to enhance the quality of my work. What this means is that you are getting the best possible relationship help from our work together.
Australia Counselling online directory
In 2011 I brought together my interest in technology and the Internet with my passion for counselling to create Australia Counselling Directory- an Australia-wide online counselling directory where the Australian public can search for a registered counsellor, therapist or psychologist in their local area.
Australia Counselling has over 200 counsellors throughout Australia including all the major capital cities and regional areas of Australia. At the beginning of 2017 I sold Australia Counselling and it is currently under new management.
- Advanced Diploma in Gestalt Therapy (GPTS)
- Graduate Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy (JNI)
- Bachelor of Music (WAPA)
- Graduate Diploma in Music (Sydney Conservatorium)
- Clinical Member, Gestalt Australia & New Zealand C 309 (GANZ)
- Psychotherapists and Counsellors Federation of Australia Reg. No. 21029 (PACFA)
- Australian Register of Counsellor and Psychotherapists (ARCAP) No. 21029
- PACT Level I & level II with Dr. Stan Tatkin
- The Developmental Model of Couples Therapy - One-year training with Dr. Ellyn Bader
- Collaborative Couple Therapy with Daniel B. Wile, Ph.D.
- Busting Myths About Male Sexuality: Implications for Therapy with Men, Women and Couples with Dr. Joe Kort
- How to Treat High-Conflict and Conflict-Avoidant Couples with the Power of the Developmental Model with Dr. Ellyn Bader
- Advanced Gestalt Therapy with Drs. Rita & Bob Resnick
- Clinical Hypnosis for Health Professionals with Leon W. Cohen
- Working with High Conflict Couples with Jacqueline McDiarmid
- The Body Keeps the Score with Bessel van der Kolk, Ph.D.
- From Therapist to Supervisor with Dr. Judy Leung
- Healing Attachment Trauma by Rewiring the Brain with Linda Graham
- 2012 Presenter at the International GANZ Conference: Lost Without a Map: Dealing with Sexual Complexity
- Wired for Love: A Psychobiological Approach to Couple Therapy (PACT) with Dr. Stan Tatkin
- Relational Turn with Dan Bloom
- This Therapeutic Life with Paul Gibney
- 2005 & 2009 Evolution of Psychotherapy Conference attendee, CA, USA
- Exploring Experiential Worlds with Drs. Lynne Jacobs and Gary Yontef
- Ethical Teaching of Counselling and Psychotherapy
- 2009 & 2010 International Therapists’ Leadership Virtual Conference
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Training (MBSR)
- Emotional Freedom Techniques
- The Existential Sand Tray
- A Fresh Look at Gestalt Therapy
- GANZ conference attendee 2004, 2006, 2008 and 2012
- NICABM mind-body training
- Gestalt Couples Training I & II
- 2006 Australian Family Therapy Conference
- Domestic Violence Training
- Domestic Violence- Working with Couples
- Sexual Complacency in Long Term Relationships
- Narrative Practice and Couple Therapy
- Gender Euphoria- Exploring Gender Belonging
- Family Constellations Training
- Relational Psychotherapy
- Group Leadership and Facilitation Training
- South Pacific Private Professional Training Program: Module I and II
- Counselling Adult Victims of Sexual Abuse
- Couple Therapy I
- Mindfulness Psychotherapy
- Post-Separation Training
- Ankali Project Emotional Support Training for People Living with HIV/AIDS