I recently wrote an article for MindBodyGreen that was shared over 1000 times, about what I’ve learned about love from the last decade of being a couples therapist. When I first started out as a couples therapist, I didn’t know how to help couples move out of pain and start to make positive changes in their relationship.
But as the years went on, and I ‘learned on the job’, I discovered there were some profound lessons to learn about love from working with literally hundreds of couples.
Here are the 10 things that I’ve learned about love over the last decade:
- No two couples are the same.
- While no two couples are the same, most couples fall into fairly predictable patterns.
- Attraction is totally unpredictable.
- Relationships that start with a bang often end with a bigger bang.
- There is no such thing as the perfect relationship.
- Your partner can’t fulfil all your needs.
- You have more than one soul mate (if you believe in that).
- Changing your relationship is hard work, but worth it.
- Relationships can be boring and ordinary at times, and that’s OK.
- Sex can get even better in a long-term relationship.
For the full article with all my love tips, click below: