Can you relate to any of these?
- We can’t seem to communicate and are bickering about things that never get resolved.
- I feel alone and disconnected from my spouse and don’t know what to do.
- HELP! There is no sex or romance…can we ever get it back again?
- I feel insecure, clingy and jealous with my spouse.
- We are still holding on to past relationship hurts and pain and can’t move on.
- I’ve been cheating on my spouse and don’t know how to stop.
- We are exhausted from constantly blaming, criticising or attacking each other.
- Since we had kids we have forgotten about us. It’s like we live separate lives.
Who are Clinton Power + Associates?
Clinton Power + Associates is a team of relationship counsellors that are dedicated to improving the lives and relationships of singles, individuals in relationships and couples.
With a combined counselling experience of over three decades, we have had the pleasure of providing relationship counselling and couples therapy to people who have struggled due to painful relationship patterns. Many of our clients longed to create respectful, loving and life affirming relationships for years before they began counselling with us.
What makes us different is every one of our counsellors has undergone specific and rigorous training in couples and relationship issues. Every one of our counsellors is a relationship specialist who is passionate about helping you create a great relationship.
Introducing Our Team
Clinton Power – Relationship Counsellor, Psychotherapist & Gestalt Therapist
I am a clinical relationship counsellor and Gestalt therapist. It has been a privilege to witness the transformations of my clients as they break their destructive patterns to form relationships that are based on honesty, respect, and true intimacy.
My interest in counselling grew out of my earlier career as a professional classical musician. For 15 years I performed with world-class orchestras in Sydney and overseas. As a performer I often struggled with performance anxiety and nervousness and this led to an interest in the mind and the psychology of performing.
The foundation of the way I work with individuals and couples is based on the theory and practice of Gestalt therapy.Read More
The foundations of Gestalt therapy are based on awareness. When working with you, I support you in raising your awareness about how you are living your life, who you are in relationship with others and what choices you are making. In being more aware, Gestalt therapy can then help you make more positive choices that will have meaning, are creative and will aid you in creating a life with relationships that are fulfilling.
Through couples counselling, I support you and your partner in becoming aware of the negative and destructive patterns that have become entrenched, so that you may begin to break these patterns and begin to form new patterns that are supportive, loving and enriching to your relationship.
The Gestalt approach to counselling is grounded in the here-and-now. This means that what you are experiencing in the present moment, in the therapy room or with your partner, takes precedence over your past experiences. This means that the therapy process is alive and present-centred.
While I do not discount your personal history, I am focussed on how your present life is being affected by your past experiences. A present-centred focus means that the therapy is dynamic as you are sharing your feelings, thoughts, sensations and imaginings in the present moment. The benefits of this are that you are able to learn and integrate new experiences by working in the present, rather than only talking about how or what you want to change in your life.
For couples, this means that you will often be in conversation with each other during the therapy. I observe how you are relating with each other. I give feedback based on my observations and will encourage you to try out new ways of communicating in the therapy room. Couples are invited to try out different behaviours and ways of relating in the present moment. The power of this process is that you experience new ways of being, rather than just talking about them.
Lidia Smirnov – Relationship Counsellor & Psychotherapist
I am a registered psychotherapist and counsellor, with a particular interest in working with couples and individuals to explore issues relating to trauma, relationship difficulties and unhelpful repetitive life patterns.
My own journey of self-discovery started more than 10 years ago, but it wasn’t until I was pregnant with my second son and facing a life threatening illness that I decided to face my fears, which included returning to full time study in my area of passion and that is psychotherapy.Read More
I believe that without love and belonging, there is guaranteed suffering, and, in order to experience love and belonging, we need connections. Sometimes these connections are easy, enjoyable and fulfilling, especially at the beginning of a relationship. However, as time goes by, what was once a blissful connection will start to feel strained, distanced or even hostile.
Through my personal as well as my clinical experience, I have arrived at the belief that by exploring the negative experiences in relationships that we habitually fight, flee and ignore, can in fact, provide us with the healing and growth opportunities necessary to deepen our connections, making them stronger and more intimate.
My relationship counselling approach and philosophies.
My approach is down to earth, direct and intelligent. Instead of a quick fix, I focus on discovering inner resources or tools that improve how you relate to life’s struggles.
I focus on strengths and resources that are inherent in you and by working collaboratively, problems are explored and understood, helping you to come to a new understanding of yourself and your relationships. Psychotherapy is the process of realising your inherent wholeness, sanity and joy; it is about reconnecting with the goodness that is in each and every one of us.
Furthermore, the relationship between the therapist and the client is a co-created partnership. Working collaboratively together, we will explore questions like:
- Why are we arguing about the same thing all the time?
- What can we do to stop the love and liveliness that is slowly leaking out of our relationship?
- Why is my partner so distant from me? Why doesn’t he/she “get me”?
- Am I wrong for questioning our suitability?
As a relationship counsellor, I provide a setting to guide you through the complexity of your dynamics to better understand your difficulties, and bring about desired change. I will give structure and direction to help you address unhealthy patterns, triggered reactions and projections. I offer tools to guide you out of blaming, bickering and not feeling heard into a truly mutual, respectful partnership.
Whether you choose to stay with your partner or separate, the underlying patterns of behaviours are explored during the process of the therapy, so as to prevent you from repeating the harmful cycles of behaviour.
We also have a psychologist as a part of our team. Please enquire for more information about psychology services.
How can we help?
We work with a wide range of issues including:
- Affairs – rebuilding trust after an affair.
- Communication – effective conflict resolution and authentic relating.
- Complex, traumatic or unresolved past issues affecting your relationships.
- Conflict with family, ex-partners or in-laws.
- Decision making, commitment issues and dating.
- Growing apart, losing love and intimate connection.
- Parenting and step-family issues.
- Overcoming relationship blocks for people who have been single for many months or years.
- Dealing with differences before and after marriage.
- Exploring all the options before deciding whether to separate or divorce.
What results can you expect?
Through relationship counselling or marriage therapy, you can have:
- Closeness and intimacy that comes from a safe, trusting and committed marriage.
- Open, honest and respectful communication where you are truly heard.
- Conflict that gets resolved and brings you closer together.
- Renewed sexual vitality with your spouse.
- A trusting and meaningful relationship with your spouse.
- A greater love for yourself and your marriage and your future together.
- Shared meaning, purpose and vision for your life and your marriage.
What is our relationship counselling approach?
Each of our counsellors has a unique and effective approach, however,
all our counsellors share these common values in our approach:
- We truly value and understand our clients’ struggles, difficulties and desire to change their relationships for the better.
- We help our clients process their emotional struggles safely and with respect at all times.
- Our approach leads to new perspectives, greater self-understanding, improved relationship dynamics, and the empowerment of each partner and the relationship.
- Our relationship counselling approach is tailored to suit your unique needs. We listen closely to what your relationships goals are and work side-by-side with you to achieve them.
- The foundation of our relationship and marriage counselling approach is holistic. We view the whole of you in the context of your unique needs, values and history. This allows us to support you in accessing your inherent resources and strengths.
- We use a broad variety of counselling, psychotherapy and psychological models and theories that have been proven to be the most effective for the issues you are resolving.
- Our clients’ confidentiality and privacy is our priority and will be maintained at all times.
How much does the counselling cost?
We have a range of services and fees, which can be viewed on our online appointment scheduler.
What our clients say about us?
When we contacted Clinton Power + Associates, I was worried our marriage was not going to survive. We were feeling so disconnected from each other and had been unable to resolve some really big issues that we were constantly fighting about. I have to say choosing Clinton Power + Associates was one of the best decisions we have ever made for our marriage.
Even though my husband was reluctant to come at first, he quickly realised that the marriage counselling was a really positive decision and things started to improve, even after the first session! We were able to put to bed some major issues from the start of our relationship that we couldn’t have resolved on our own. It’s been six months since we finished our sessions, and we are both now happier with our relationship than we have ever been before.
When we started our sessions with Clinton Power + Associates, our marriage was in crisis. I had just found out my husband was having a long-term affair, plus, I was facing a major health crisis. I really didn’t think our marriage was going to survive.
In our sessions we started to communicate with each other about things we had never talked about before. Plus, I was able to start to forgive my husband and we started to rebuild our marriage.
I can’t believe how much our marriage has changed for the better since I first found out about the affair. It’s made the world of difference to me, and we are now closer than we have ever been. I can’t recommend enough Clinton Power + Associates if you need to get your marriage back on track.