I recently had the pleasure of being interviewed on the Talking Lifestyle radio show with Melissa Ferrari and Jono Coleman.
In the segment I spoke about the stigma that some people feel when considering couples therapy and reasons why smart couples go to couples therapy.
Click below to listen to the interview.
The 5 reasons why smart couples go to couples therapy
1. They understand that no-one taught them how to have a great relationship
- No one has classes in school or university on how to have a successful relationship.
- We have distorted ideas about relationships e.g. Disney happily ever after is a total myth.
- We don’t have many good role models – just look at the frequent Hollywood divorces – we live in a culture where relationships are disposable.
2. They understand the value of prevention strategies to keep their relationship on track
- The average couple waits 6 years from the start of a problem before getting help.
- It’s always easier to deal with a small issue now than a big issue later on.
- A regular tune up with a couples therapist can keep you on track.
3. They know they will likely repeat the patterns of their parents
- The model of our parents is generally the relationship blueprint we absorb while growing up.
- Many of us have parents who were in an unhappy relationship.
- Couples therapy helps you undo the unconscious relationship patterns you learn.
4. They know they have chosen a partner that pushes their buttons
- We unconsciously choose partners that represent the best and the worst of our caregivers.
- This helps us grow by having to address unfinished business from the past.
- Strong couples understand the value of learning about their triggers and treat their partner as someone who can help them learn about themselves.
5. They understand the value of devoting time to building intimacy in your relationship
- We are all busier and more stressed than ever with less time for our relationship.
- Relationships are like a garden – they need regular nurturing and maintenance.
- Couples therapy is time to devote to learning more about each other and improving your intimacy.
Do you need relationship help?
If you need help with starting or maintaining a relationship, contact Clinton Power + Associates for a FREE 15-minute phone consultation to discuss your situation and find out how we can help. Call us now on 0412 241 410 or book your free phone consult online.
Clinton Power is a relationship counsellor and Gestalt therapist with over a decade of experience helping individuals and couples move out of relationship pain and create great relationships. Get Clinton’s FREE report: 10 Tips for Moving Out of Relationship Pain, by clicking the button below.