After many years or working with all types of parents – de facto, separated, divorced, married, and same-sex – I have some insight into the challenges of raising your kids to be happy and healthy. Of all the parents I’ve worked with, I have a special appreciation for single mums because I know it can be especially challenging to raise a child on your own.
Single mums are incredible people with super-human powers of focus, energy, passion and tenacity. Not to take anything away from the single dads out there, but in the majority of cases I’ve seen, a large part of the parenting and raising of children still falls to females.
One of the most important things about being a competent single mum is the ability to look after your own mental health and wellness. This has a number of benefits including:
- you’re able to be a role model to your children for healthy self-care
- you have more capacity to be there for your children when you’re mentally well
- you have more resilience for coping with all that life throws you as a single mum
- you can bounce back quicker from adversity and challenges
- you have a greater capacity for compassion, kindness and tenderness towards your children
So I was very excited to have my first post published for the well-known Single Mum website where I shared tips for maintaining your mental wellness as a single mum. Check it out by clicking the link below:
Do you need relationship help?